Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Oct 10 - Winning Mom Over

Mom came home in the middle of our call. I said hi and went back to my phone but about half an hour later she came upstairs and knocked on my door saying she knew who I was talking with. After the sweet phone call, he shocked me by a message, "I have set up a new goal for myself." When I asked him what the goal is, he replied, "I really want to win your mom's heart.. That she could think differently of me and doesn't think I'm a typical foreigner."

But it was nothing compared to this super long text that started with "Remember you told me the story of an online couple where the guy has one foot shorter than the other. Your mom told you that right? So I think she became more skeptical about this." Yeah, that happened once, I even wrote it here. I joked that time, "Maybe you should take a picture of yourself like from head to toe. I'll show it to Mommy to satisfy her."

The last part of the message was, "I was thinking of taking a full body picture holding a paper with something like "Hello Miss Bintang :) I'm physically okay, don't worry!" Or just write it on Paint, idk. Addressed to your mom. But since she can't say anything good about me idk if it's still a good idea. You think she would like it or not? Be honest Honey."

That really touched me. He is so thoughtful when it comes to things like this because he knows how much my family matters to me, just like how his matters to him. I told him how sweet it was but he really wanted to do it.

L: I think I'm gonna try. If she doesn't like it, well, bad luck. At least I tried.
V: We're always honest to each other right?
L: Yes Sayang, always.
V: I don't think it's a good idea to make it for Mom. I'm not sure she'll like it. But maybe one of these days I'll tell her you said hi. Do you think it's a good idea?
L: Yeah, that's okay too. I don't want to screw up.

If only Mommy was more receptive of the idea. I suddenly was reminded of what he said to me weeks ago, "I'm sad (that Mom doesn't approve of me) because eventually I want to love your mom like you do." Seeing how persistent he is, I really hope Mom will soon open up.