Monday, February 22, 2016

Sep 12 - Ready, Aim, Fire!

Walking to our usual meeting point this morning was not easy at all, realizing today was our last Saturday together. We go out on a date everyday, not only on Saturdays, but it was a loud alarm to yet another inevitable farewell. :(

My best friend Tegar is a busy man. It's literally impossible to arrange a meeting with him on most days, but as soon as he knew Luis was in town, he texted me saying he'd love to catch up! Luis and I had things to do in Senayan and Tegar was in the mood for Batak food, so we agreed on this legendary place, arguably the best in Jakarta. After the frustration to find the location since the navigation was so off and neither I nor our taxi driver knew where this restaurant is, we arrived and shortly after Tegar did too. He was as sweet as he has always been! It was so much fun filling in each other on updates, all the while pigging out on the food, hahaha, pun intended. It was Luis' first time having Batak's signature pork dishes, but under Tegar's guidance (I'm not a fan of pork unless it's in a form of bacon, sausage, schnitzel, and wonton), Luis grew to love it! Haha, I'm happy, he'll fit right in. Well, hopefully, at least. :D Too bad time flew by so quickly and it was already nearing 1 pm and we had to leave in a taxi. But it was really nice seeing Tegar!


The first out of two activities we planned for the day was archery practice. Luis loves archery so much, that was one of the first things he told me when we started talking, so I thought it was only perfect that I booked this two-hour session with the help of my good friend Sam (Thanks, Bro, if you're reading!). We practiced with a bunch of other people, but the instructors were attentive to each one of us and as soon as we picked up the bow and arrow, it was game on!

Luis is a result-oriented kinda guy. Proof is in the next picture. Oh but can we just take a look at that arm? :P

Luis' group's target as compared to the next group

My group was bad too but I got a few bulls-eye! Luis was so proud of me.
Luis was so, so good, especially seeing how his techniques are not according to the guide books. It was so clear that although I did fire on-point shots, I was nowhere near his accuracy level! But even so, throughout the practice, he never ceased encouraging me, giving me compliments, and overall being a good sport he is. This man can seriously do no wrong when it comes to sports and games in general. And also a lot of other things. *insert an obnoxious dreamy face here* :P

The session was up and we took another taxi to our second and last appointment of the day, also a surprise I had planned for him. It's a shooting range! Luis had absolutely no idea at first but as soon as he heard gunshots, he got excited. So now I got excited as well, hahaha. We walked into this building which is also the national training place and were led to an office where we could re-register our names and were given a ballot as a queuing system as well as targets for our scoring later. I thought since I booked for 3.30 pm, we could practice directly, but fine, we went with it and waited on the first floor watching other people on their sessions. They used the normal short caliber guns to shoot a parallel target that is held by a stand on the outdoor section of the field. It was fun at first to watch others played, but the minutes shortly turned into a full hour and the waiting game became less fun. As I went back upstairs to report this, the chief overheard my complaint, came up to me to apologize, and asked us to follow him. He led us to a room on the second floor with a sign "Athletes-Only" and the two of us just exchanged looks. When we stepped into the almost empty room, we discovered an indoor shooting range with weapons that were much, MUCH cooler than what they had downstairs! Here the targets are also pinned to a special machine that is automated to pull the target sheet back up to us as soon as one round was down. This was nothing like we expected. Blessing in disguise!

Obsessed with this photo! Thanks to our private instructor.



We took one photo holding these weapons with serious faces but it made us look too much like terrorists so here's the smiling one. :D

It was the last Saturdate, but it was the best Saturdate................. at least that's what Luis thought before I dragged him to have dinner at A&W near home. Hahahahahahaha, can't have it all, Baby!