Monday, July 20, 2015

Jul 18 - Yet Another Milestone

Last week marked a very important event in my life, I passed my thesis defense on Friday, July 10, 2015.
Luis could not be there, but he basically did everything else.

It was scheduled to begin at 9. Knowing I would need at least 5 minutes for technicality (hooking up the projector's adaptor to my laptop, preparing the hard copies of my thesis for the jurors and my mentor, etc.), I could only use my phone till 8.55, at max. So he set an alarm at my 8.30, in case I "wanted to talk a little." Bear in mind, my 8.30 is his 3.30. The fact that he sacrificed his sleeping time to be at my beck and call (of course I would be freaking out) was simply the sweetest thing to start my day with. Talking with him helped calm me down and more importantly, made me feel less pukey (sorry).

The following picture depicts the festivity of joy and love that happened right after I stepped outside of the sacred meeting room.


See the white thingy I kept the closest to myself? With the help of my best friend Ega, he gave me that big, beautiful bouquet of white roses, surrounded by various tiny white flowers, wrapped in white fabrics, and decorated with a white ribbon. It was nothing but perfection. I just cannot get over how thoughtful he was to specify how I'd like them. Same thing goes to my incredible best friends who got me four other bouquets of flowers predominantly in white, purple, and pink; all my favorite colors. Honestly I have the best group of supporters whom I am immensely grateful for.

Little did I know, the bouquet was supposed to come with a note, one that Ega failed to write down because I was done way sooner than expected. (I did not mind at all, Ega's presence is just equally important to me.)


As always, he did the "x Lu" signature that had me falling for him the first time around (reread the Cupcake surprise post). It was the simplest gesture that I would miss so bad had it not been present. But even without, the personalized greetings alone warmed my heart right away. He just knows the key to my soul.

The second I told him I passed my thesis defense (and that I was so blissful receiving his flowers), he changed his WhatsApp status to this.


Why does he have my face as his profile photo on WhatsApp, you may ask? He's just so sweet like that.

During lunch with my family, we called a little because I could not contain my excitement and he could not contain his curiosity. It was brief but enough to let me know that he was just as excited as I was, and that made me even happier. Too bad I had the rest of the day planned out so we really had to stop talking. But since I did not know what time I would be home, he cleared all of his schedules so we could call as soon as I arrived home. 

And that's when things got even clearer on a point that I would reveal later. His questions were seriously endless! He wanted to know everything. He wanted me to fill him in on what he missed out on and how I felt about the whole thing. As if I needed more evidence, this achievement of mine is apparently just as meaningful to him as it is to me. It is so wonderful to have someone who does nothing less than believing in you in your hardest times and lowest points, knowing that you would eventually make it to the end of the line.

Another milestone reached in our togetherness. "Happiness is only real when shared."